Guest Services, Inc. is now hiring a Chef Assistant to assist in leading kitchen staff at Florida Southern College in Lakeland, FL. The ideal candidate will have experience in the food service industry in a leaderhip role as well as be friendly, motivated, and reliable. Apply now to join our All Star Team!
Schedule: Full time; must have flexible availability including weekends
The Chef Assistant is responsible for leading employees with the preparation and distribution of food service to guests and other events as well as ensuring food preparation meets the established sanitation standards and food production guidelines.
- Instructs and leads kitchen staff in the preparation, cooking, garnishing, or presentation of food.
- Monitor and Assess performance of employees to make improvements or take corrective action.
- Monitor menus and spending in order to ensure that meals are prepared economically.
- Prepare and cook foods of all types, either on a regular basis or for special guests or functions.
- Analyze recipes to assign prices to menu items, based on food, labor, and overhead costs.
- Determine how food should be presented and create decorative food displays.
- Operate food station, including performing station checklist, temperature log, counter meeting, and signage.
- Requisition food supplies, kitchen equipment, and appliances, based on estimates of future needs
- Clean and inspect kitchen equipment, kitchen appliances, and work areas in order to ensure cleanliness and functional operation.
SKILL AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE
- Bachelor’s Degree or several years of work-related experience, on-the-job training, and/or vocational training.
- Determine production schedules and staff requirements necessary to ensure timely delivery of services.
- Food Safety certified- monitors sanitation practices to ensure all employees follow standards and regulations.
- Strong customer service abilities; actively looks for ways to assist customers and coworkers.
- Prior experience in a lead or supervisory capacity required.
Physical and Mental Requirements
- Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly frequent movements from place to place within the unit. Bend, lift, carry, reach/extend arms and hands above shoulder height frequently, or otherwise move in a constantly changing environment.
- Lifting, carrying, and pushing up to 25 lbs. regularly, 30-35 lbs. frequently, and up to 50 lbs. occasionally.
- Climbing steps regularly.
- Withstanding temperature extremes in freezer, refrigerator walk-in and grill areas.
- Proper usage and handling of carious kitchen machinery to include slicers, ovens, stove, grinders, mixers and other kitchen related equipment.
- This position will spend 100% of the time standing, walking and climbing stairs with food items and dishes.
- Constantly communicates and receives verbal communication with other employees in fast-paced kitchen.
- Job requires being reliable, responsible, and dependable, and fulfilling obligations.
- Speech recognition and clarity, including the ability to understand the speech of customers and co-workers and the ability to speak clearly so that you can be understood by customers and co-workers in English.
- Reading and writing work-related documents in English.
- Cooking machinery and utensils.
Guest Services offers competitive pay and excellent benefits, including Paid Time Off and a generous 401(k) Match.
Veterans, Minorities and Women especially encouraged to apply.
Guest Services, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.