The Director of Transportation will oversee the management and operation of the Lancaster Foods fleet based in Jessup, MD. This position is responsible for the development and day-to-day execution of transportation/fleet management and operating plans related to route and schedule development, coordination with service providers, loading and dispatch of Lancaster Foods delivery fleet, driver management, vehicle management, and all aspects of transportation-related safety management and regulatory compliance. This position will work with upper management to provide complete fulfillment of customer expectations and sales commitments in the most cost-effective manner possible.
- Manage transportation department administrative staff as well as the outsourced maintenance and full service lease fleet programs.
- Coach, train, and mentor direct reports in order to ensure personal growth and career development.
- Utilize systems to track driver performance and provide feedback related to performance in a timely manner.
- Support driver recruiting and retention
- Ensure accuracy and viability of the operating plan, driver assignments and routing/dispatching.
- Develop a viable contingency plan in the event of absenteeism or last minute additional business requirements.
- Ensure available equipment to meet driver assignments in advance of start times utilizing slip-seating and equipment sharing.
- Ensure administrative accuracy related to billing, payroll and Federal DOT requirements.
- Monitor and ensure real time transportation and fleet management system status updates for all drivers and customers.
- Responsible for safe vehicle operations, 100% ELD compliance under Federal DOT guidelines, HOS compliance, equipment safety, driver work safety and safe loading/unloading.
- Customer Service: ensure 100% load coverage and deliver on-time service commitments; address issues and maintain proactive, communicating with customers, the sales department and senior management.
- Ensure all DVIR’s are monitored and equipment is delivered timely to the maintenance shop with communication relating to required repairs.
- Strive for continuous improvement of overall fleet operations.
- Evaluate alternatives in order to make the best overall value decisions considering, among other factors, cost, customer expectations, driver needs and urgency.
- Ensure compliance with Lancaster’s warehouse GMP and safety & security policies for all members of the Transportation Department.
- Monitor Transportation Department vendors to ensure compliance with service agreements.
- Update drivers and staff on changing policies and procedures during monthly driver meetings.
- Responsible for the Transportation Department’s budget and expenses.
- Ability to build credible relationships with customers, drivers and lead in a dynamic, fast-paced, hands-on environment and to build effective teams
- Demonstrated analytical ability, attention to detail, and strong computer skills preferably with transportation and warehouse management systems
- Experience with computerized transportation and fleet management information systems. Experience with Roadnet, Xata, Forward Thinking, and Gasboy/Veederoot preferred.
- Ability to function in a high-stress environment exercising solid judgement, solving practical problems while dealing with a variety of variables.
- Write routine reports and correspondence in a professional manner.
- Read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, procedure manuals, budgets and financial reports.
- Speak effectively before groups of customers or associates.
Associates or Bachelor’s degree desired. A combination of work experience and schoolwork may be acceptable.
Minimum of 10 years managing operations in a truckload or LTL environment; experience in food products distribution preferred.
Must be able to, with reasonable accommodations, lift and carry up to 50 pounds, handle multiple tasks, handle high pressure situations, work independently, follow up and meet deadlines, work in temperatures, which range from 28-90 degrees, work in a wet, damp environment and have the ability to read and understand warehouse documents
Guest Services offers competitive pay and excellent benefits, including Paid Time Off and a generous 401(k) Match.
Veterans, Minorities, People with Disabilities and Women especially encouraged to apply.
Guest Services, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.