Would you like to spend your summer working at a mystical and peaceful lodge? Stehekin Valley’s, picturesque lake and breathtaking mountains truly have a magical effect.
You will feel right at home in our tight knit family of employees and it is sure to be a summer you will never forget. Apply below!
The Sous Chef is the direct management assistant to the Chef and is second in command in the kitchen. The Sous Chef prepares foods for service according to assignment by the Chef and General Manager. The Sous Chef must also assist in planning; giving direction to all employees within the unit, achieve operating and financial goals, ensure food quality, and meet client objectives and customer needs.
- Assist in planning and developing menus, and forecasting portion specifications to unit. Analyze and cost food items. Ensure compliance with established budget.
- Assist in recruiting, supervising, training, scheduling, disciplining, and directing the culinary staff.
- Control expenses. Determine food and supply needs for unit. Maintain inventory control of food and supplies.
- Maintain and ensure safe facility environment including standards for food production and handling, cooking, housekeeping, sanitation, dress, cash control, and employee hygiene.
- Plan, schedule, supervise, and participate in the culinary work of the unit to ensure proper production, distribution of assignments, and prompt and efficient preparation of foods. Ensure food quality standards are met and amounts are sufficient to meet expected need.
- Maintain awareness of safety issues, and report them immediately to your manager.
SKILL AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS:
- High School Diploma/G.E.D. equivalent required; Culinary or Associate’s degree in food service or related field preferred.
- Food Safety Certification. Strong sanitation habits.
- Strong customer service abilities; actively looks for ways to assist customers and coworkers.
- Ability to interact and communicate well with the client.
- Ability to problem solve.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly frequent movements from place to place within the unit. Bend, lift, carry, reach/extend arms and hands above shoulder height frequently, or otherwise move in a constantly changing environment.
- Lifting, carrying, and pushing up to 25 lbs. regularly, 30-35 lbs. frequently, and up to 50 lbs. occasionally.
- Ability to stand for the entire work day.
- Climbing steps regularly.
- Withstanding temperature extremes in freezer, refrigerator walk-in and grill areas.
- Reading and writing work-related documents in English.
- Speech recognition and clarity, including the ability to understand the speech of customers and co-workers and the ability to speak clearly so that you can be understood by customers and co-workers in English.
- Constantly communicates and receives verbal communication with other employees in fast-paced kitchen.
- Physical presence at the job site is essential to perform job duties.
- Commercial Kitchen Machinery, Appliances, Tools, and Utensils.
Accessible only by boat, plane or hiking trails, the North Cascades Lodge at Stehekin is a laid-back remote little place on the shores of Lake Chelan within the North Cascades National Park. Stehekin has about 75 permanent residents, though its population swells during the summer. The passenger ferry runs daily from Chelan and Fields Point during the summer months and less often through the winter. Stehekin is very close to the Pacific Crest Trail. While there is no road access to Stehekin, there is roughly 22 miles of existing road and shuttle bus service is available. A few cars and old trucks are around, barged in over the years. Trout and sockeye salmon are popular targets for fishing in Lake Chelan and if you are into hiking, extreme or mild you will love it here. Bicycles are available for hire and are easily transported up on the ferry as well. You will feel right at home in our tight knit little family of employees and it will be a summer you’ll never forget
Veterans, Minorities, People with Disabilities and Women especially encouraged to apply.
Guest Services, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.