Are you a cook ready to be a Sous Chef or a Sous Chef ready for your next opportunity? Are you interested in gaining or further developing your management skills in a newly renovated kitchen?If so, then this is the job for you!
Big Sur Lodge managed by Guest Services, Inc. is hiring for a Chef/Sous Chef to join us.
Pfeiffer Big Sur State Park is often called “mini-Yosemite” for its natural splendors. With the rugged central California Pacific coastline to the west and the dramatic Santa Lucia mountain range to the east, Big Sur Lodge offers families and adventurers a rejuvenating escape from the hectic pace of everyday life.
The Sous Chef is responsible for all food preparation, production and control for all food outlets and banquet facilities, to meet Hotel/Lodge’s standard of quality. The Sous Chef prepares foods for service according to assignment by the Chef and General Manager. The Sous Chef must also assist in planning; giving direction to all employees within the unit, achieve operating and financial goals, ensure food quality, and meet client objectives and customer needs.
- Assist in planning and developing menus, and forecasting portion specifications to unit. Analyze and cost food items. Ensure compliance with established budget.
- Assist in recruiting, supervising, training, scheduling, disciplining, and directing the culinary staff.
- Analyze feedback from clients and employees, make judgments and take action to implement suggestions for improvement.
- Control expenses. Determine food and supply needs for unit. Maintain inventory control of food and supplies.
- Maintain and ensure safe facility environment including standards for food production and handling, cooking, housekeeping, sanitation, dress, cash control, and employee hygiene.
- Plan, schedule, supervise, and participate in the culinary work of the unit to ensure proper production, distribution of assignments, and prompt and efficient preparation of foods. Ensure food quality standards are met and amounts are sufficient to meet expected need.
- Maintain awareness of safety issues, and report them immediately to your manager.
SKILL AND KNOWLEDGE REQUIREMENTS INCLUDE
- High School Diploma/G.E.D. equivalent required; Culinary or Associate’s degree in food service or related field preferred.
- Food Safety Certification. Strong sanitation habits.
- Strong customer service abilities; actively looks for ways to assist customers and coworkers.
- Ability to interact and communicate well with the client.
- Ability to problem solving.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL REQUIREMENTS
- Moving about on foot to accomplish tasks, particularly frequent movements from place to place within the unit. Bend, lift, carry, reach/extend arms and hands above shoulder height frequently, or otherwise move in a constantly changing environment.
- Lifting, carrying, and pushing up to 25 lbs. regularly, 30-35 lbs. frequently, and up to 50 lbs. occasionally.
- Ability to stand for the entire work day.
- Climbing steps regularly.
- Withstanding temperature extremes in freezer, refrigerator walk-in and grill areas.
- Reading and writing work-related documents in English.
- Speech recognition and clarity, including the ability to understand the speech of customers and co-workers and the ability to speak clearly so that you can be understood by customers and co-workers in English.
- Constantly communicates and receives verbal communication with other employees in fast-paced kitchen.
- Physical presence at the job site is essential to perform job duties.
- Commercial Kitchen Machinery, Appliances, Tools, and Utensils.
Guest Services offers competitive pay and excellent benefits, including Paid Time Off and a generous 401(k) Match.
Veterans, Minorities, People with Disabilities and Women especially encouraged to apply.
Guest Services, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or protected Veteran status.